Saturday 3 February 2007

Pool Memories 1; The Umbrella Match and the Origin of The Dream Team

This is something of a claim to fame for me. I was studying English Language at Wilmorton College, and it was in one of Jim Smith's classes that I first met Jagjit Dusanjh, recipient of many humbling and embarrassing defeats in the college common room and beyond, all of which began most spectacularly with the infamous umbrella match.

Upon striking up a friendship with the big man, based mainly on exchanging insults and boasts, I was pleased to hear that he enjoyed a game of pool now and then. Back then I was never shy to tell people of my proficiency on the green baize and, after much cajoling, we agreed to have ourselves a game. Not only did I claim I would beat Jagjit, but I insisted that I could do it playing each shot with an umbrella instead of a cue. Thus the umbrealla match was born. He with cue and I with umbrella (which he would provide) would battle it out with pride, and those all-important bragging rights, on the line.

As it turned out this match drew a fair bit of interest. When I entered the common room Jagjit was already there, along with his cousin, the future Blackheart, Harry Sanghera, and an entourage who would come to be known as the Sanghera Family. I suppose they wanted to see who this guy was who thought that he could play pool with an umbrella. I of course was joined by a group of friends, prominent amongst tham being my partner in crime and doubles partner, Darren Hibbert. Of course, once it became apparent what was going on a few other eyes from around the common room were fixed on our corner table. Jagjjit handed me the famed implement - a standard black umbrella, about 18 inches in length, with a thick plastic tip - and battle commenced.

The most astonishing thing about my victory is the ease at which it was achieved. Now, Jagjit turned out to be a woefully inept player, but even so, this was Adam Russell at the beginning of his career playing with an UMBRELLA. After the black was deposited, a barrage of gloating taunts cascaded out of my mouth as Jagjit's bemused cousin shook his head in disappointment. True to form Darren couldn't help but get it on the act. After all, rubbing our opponents' noses in their humiliating defeats was what we did best. It was then that Sanghera looked up, his eyes settling on the two young braggarts before him, and said, 'Who are you two? The dream team?'

'Yes,' Darren replied quick as a flash. 'That's exactly who we are'. And from that moment on we were The Dream Team. And always will be.

No comments: